Every consulting firm is different in its size, structure, and specialty. A lot of factors related to the firm can affect one’s professional development, career path and ultimately the peace of mind. So, it is necessary to consider all the factors before choosing a firm.
The first factor to consider is the type of consulting which you would like to go for. There are different types like: strategic consulting, tech consulting, etc. Some firms like strategic operational solutions offer services on multiple fields like IT Services strategy, management and engineering, etc. You have to decide on the type of the consulting you require.
Consulting firms fall under two main categories. Let us deal with them one by one!
General management consulting firms
These types of consulting firms provide services on a vast range of projects including different industries and markets. They will have cutting edge knowledge about the latest business trends and enough experience to deal with any complicated problems of their clients.
General management firms often have offices all around the world.
· Possesses great experience as a result of working across multiple industries, sectors and projects
· Provides opportunities in diverse areas of interest
· Projects are not monotonous
· Provides travel opportunities.
· Provides thorough training
· You may have to work on projects outside your areas of interest
· Less recognition and individual responsibility
· Less togetherness
· Constant change and travel may not be suitable for everyone
Boutique consulting firms
These are also known as specialized consulting firms and provide services in a specialized field.
· Stronger culture and companionship
· Offers more individual responsibilities and recognition
· Skill development opportunity in a particular area of interest
· Fast career growth
· Monotonous work
· Narrow experience
· Limited income
In addition to these two, there are internal consulting units which work within a company. Analyze all the pros and cons listed above and choose the most appropriate consultancy firm for you!